Tuesday, April 28, 2009

For Emphasis

In typography, serifs are details at the end of strokes in letters and symbols. The explanations for why they developed range from being a result of printing methods (brushing on stone blocks and etching in wood), helping fluidly guide the reader's eyes through the letters and words, to offering pure decorative purposes; fonts with this detail are used mainly for the body of text.

Sans-serif fonts are used mostly for larger type--headlines, titles, and shorter pieces of text--because they are usually bolder, more emphatic, but also more casual and less formal. It just so happens that sans-serif fonts are also easier to read on the computer screen.

I'd like to dedicate this blog to the sans-serif. I serve this blog on some plain white rice (or brown if that's what you like) complete as it is without garnish and frippery, wholly prepared to both please and nourish. As I become more comfortable in my own skin, less nervous about making horrendously bad decisions, and bolder, more emphatic about the future, I realize what a sincere approach to life might look like. I am taking a step toward being completely honest with myself about my interests, opinions and beliefs, so that I might share with those around me with the utmost honesty and without all the empty flourish. I realize the empowerment that comes with knowing how to articulate my opinions, but also that any one opinion may change within a matter of minutes, depending on what new information comes my way.

I hope you come along with me in these explorations.

1 comment: