Thursday, June 11, 2009

A few positive updates

I'm very glad for some of the work I did today and some of the news I received because yesterday was my lowest of lows in a long while. I stayed home from work. I did nothing. I stared at the ceiling. Then I stared at the carpet. Then I decided I should hang up my towel and get dressed. And yes, I realize those two sentences are oddly placed together, but no, that's not what I meant. I actually stared at the carpet. on my floor. After getting dressed, I turned on the computer and stared at it. I watched some Daily Show episodes on Hulu. Then I watched some Twin Peaks episodes. And then I fell asleep for three hours. Bored yet? I'm getting to the good stuff, just hold steady. But yeah, let's just say MENTAL HEALTH DAY FTW.

Earlier this week, on Tuesday, I went to a New Volunteer Orientation for the Berkeley School District and I have hopes to be placed in a program this Fall, either as a writing coach with high school students or in special ed. A guy at my work also put me in touch with his wife, who works at a high school in the bay area with kids who have behavioral and learning disabilities, so there is a chance I could volunteer there, too. How that will end up fitting with any 9-5 job I might get in the meantime, I'm not sure, but as for now I'm going to ignore high hopes of a job and just let things go as they go.

Speaking of a JOB, today I received a call from one of the places I applied to a couple weeks ago, and now I have an interview next week! I guess I just have to go out and buy some interview clothes (right, Emelia?). I'm pretty stoked about the interview because this is the job I've been most interested in. I won't go into too much, but it's a therapy center that works with emotionally troubled kids in their own environments-school, home, recreation, you name it.

I am also scheduled next week for my very first Research Assistant shift at the Harvey Sleep and Psychological Disorders Lab on UC Berkeley campus, a volunteer position I mention in my second or third post.

Just the perfect little blossom of good stuff to "turn that frown upside down" and help me feel once again that progress is underway. My horoscope today (which I swear I can't avoid because it's dead center of my google home page :-P) says,

"You may feel conflicted today because your goals don't seem practical enough. You have a strong desire to increase the amount of meaning in your life now, but the options to do this are not necessarily supported by your current job. Unfortunately, you cannot just walk away, for you have financial obligations that must be met. Don't get discouraged if you have to continue on your present path for a while longer; your time for change will come."

I don't need a horoscope to tell me that! But yeah, it is encouraging.

1 comment:

  1. yay! thanks god, thanks god, as my grandma used to say.

    ReplyDelete